As part of the University’s Sustainability plan, We at the School of Nursing Midwifery and Health Care would ask that make an effort over the next fortnight particularly to support Fair Trade. Fair Trade Fortnight runs from today until the 12th. of March 2017.
The Fair Trade Foundation’s mission is to work with businesses, community groups and individuals to improve the trading position of producer organisations and to deliver sustainable livelihoods for farmers, workers and their communities by
- being a passionate and ambitious development organisation committed to tackling poverty and injustice through trade
- using certification and product labelling, through the FAIRTRADE Mark (pictured below) as a tool for our development goals
- bringing together producers and consumers in a citizens’ movement for change
- being recognised as the UK’s leading authority on Fairtrade.
There four key areas of activity are:
- Providing an independent certification of the trade chain, licensing use of the FAIRTRADE Mark as a consumer guarantee on products
- Facilitating the market to grow demand for Fairtrade and enable producers to sell to traders and retailers
- Working with our partners to support producer organisations and their networks
- Raising public awareness of the need for Fairtrade and the importance of the FAIRTRADE Mark.
Take the time to watch their award-winning film produced for Fairtrade Fortnight 2015 called Fair Trade Matters.